Properties and contraindications
The essential composition obtained from basil is highly valued in many areas: cooking, cosmetology, folk medicine. The spicy plant has an impressive list of medicinal properties. It is useful for those who suffer from mental fatigue or loss of energy. The oil is considered a powerful antioxidant that can fight free radicals, prolonging youth.
Composition and characteristics of basil essential oil
The aerial part of the spicy culture contains about 2% essential oil. The benefits of the basil composition are due to the fact that it contains camphor, vitamins C, A, PP and B2. Eugenol and methylchavicol were also found in the composition, which determine its spicy aroma along with camphor and ocimene. But still, the main component that sets the direction of the scent is eugenol.
The oil obtained from the plant is practically colorless, sometimes with a slight yellowish tinge, which is determined by the place of production. The ether has a bright spicy aroma, which can be characterized as grassy, tart, slightly sweet with a slight bitterness. To obtain 1 kg of oil, it is necessary to process at least 400 kg of plant materials.
Basil has long been used in cooking as a spice. If you use purified essential oil, you can get a lot of health benefits.
The aroma composition has the following valuable properties:
- Destroys germs. The components of the essential oil are effective against various pathogenic microorganisms. The composition cleanses the skin of acne and rashes, is used to disinfect hands and premises. To enhance the effect, it can be combined with lavender. It is believed that basil is able to cope even with the causative agents of tuberculosis and salmonellosis.
- Strengthens the immune system. In the period of colds, it is good to take essential oil or aromatize the house to destroy the infection, do inhalation.
- Relieves stress. The spicy aroma drives away blues and depression, restores strength, relieves fatigue. Basil can quickly cheer you up, makes you forget about anxiety and sad thoughts.
- Relieves pain. Basil essential oil is beneficial for headache, toothache, migraine, dizziness.
- Eliminates itching. The active ingredients of the product eliminate the unpleasant sensations after an insect bite.
- Relieves swelling. Inhalation of basil vapors relieves the condition with a runny nose and colds, at the same time the plant has a disinfecting effect.
- Heals wounds. The tool can be used to quickly regenerate the skin with cuts and scrapes, to prevent the development of infection. Basil essential oil can help get rid of warts. To do this, undiluted it must be applied to the wart several times during the day.
Areas of use
It is impossible to list all the ways and directions of using essential oil. But the aromatic substances of basil are most in demand in the following areas:
- In cooking. Unlike a plant, a concentrated essential oil must be used with care to flavor dishes so as not to spoil the taste - not to make it overly spicy. When adding oil for a more even distribution, it is better to first mix it with a base: vegetable oil, alcohol.
- In cosmetology. Basil oil has the ability to rejuvenate the skin. The active substances of the aroma composition quickly relieve fatigue and give a fresh look, improve the complexion. If you add the agent to the cream, you can reduce wrinkles and eliminate inflammation. In the case when hair loss suffers, the essential oil can be added to shampoo or herbal decoctions to rinse the curls after washing. It is good to use basil oil mixed with a greasy base for massage.
- In soap making. The use of basil turns ordinary soap into a medicinal one. It acquires bactericidal properties, suitable for oily, problematic and combination skin. It works well with lavender oil.
- In aromatherapy. Scenting a room with basil oil is a way to quickly get rid of fatigue, stress and bad mood. It tones up and restores efficiency, helps to find a way out of a difficult situation. It can be added to baths, aromatherapy baths. Before adding oil to the bath, mix it with salt or honey. The water temperature should be no higher than 38 degrees.
- In perfumery. The spicy scent is used primarily for creating masculine fragrances. For this, basil is combined with neroli or lemon balm, lavender, bergamot.
In everyday life, basil essential oil will help out more than once in the warm season to get rid of annoying insects. It is good to add it to dishwashing detergent or water, if you need to thoroughly disinfect the refrigerator, remove an unpleasant odor from it.
Compatibility with other oils
Basil goes well with invigorating notes of mint or lemon, it harmonizes with lavender and rose, sage and eucalyptus. It is also permissible to combine it with rosemary, thyme, juniper or geranium.
Pleasant aromas are obtained by combining basil with other "green notes": oak moss, lemon balm. In aromatic combinations, ether is used primarily as the bottom note. To make the composition harmonious, do not mix more than 3-5 types of oils.